Sectors, the new occluders

Jupiter EX Engine

Wiky
Pegasus Modteam
Pegasus Modteam

Post by Wiky » Sat Dec 24, 2005 6:14 pm

As you all have seen, the new method of occlusion is Sectoring (which is actually very familiar to me since I did a lot of sectoring at my last job. I think it's time for Spydave to throw up a dynamic Sectoring tutorial. Ah yes.

So what are all ya'lls thoughts on sectors?

SPYDAVE
Pegasus Modteam
Pegasus Modteam

Post by SPYDAVE » Sat Dec 24, 2005 7:30 pm

For what "little" I know about the (i.e. glancing over the docs) it seems like it would be very efficent ... still it seems awkard that every area has to have a sector to render in game ...

sonic goo

Post by sonic goo » Wed Dec 28, 2005 1:16 am

I saw a tutorial elsewhere (think fearmaps) on this. Looks easy enough. :D

Scia

Post by Scia » Sat Feb 04, 2006 6:15 pm

The main idea behind sectors is pretty straight forward and for most maps it's pretty simple to do. Unfortunately it's allitle tricky on some maps that have more complex geometry and odd shaped areas.

but, basically the game renders the sector your in, and then the sectors your facing. Unlike NOLF which just renders everything in front of you and stops when it hits an occluder or vis-blocker. I'm guessing it's probably due to the dynamic lighting, since if you where facing away from the dynamic light and it stopped rendering, it would be like the light turned off completely since there wouldn't be a lightmap already bound to the room.

jedwabna poszewka 50x60